SC - Need help with "Compost"

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 1 20:00:44 PDT 1999

Kerri Canepa wrote:

> Take rote of psel (parsley root?), pasternak of rasens (carrots? parsnips?),

It calls for root of parsley, of pasternak (parsnips or carrots, the
version in Le Menagier calls for carrots), and of rafens, which are radishes.

> scrape hem and waisthe he clene, take rap (turnips) & caboch (cabbage) ypared
> and icorne. take an erthen pane w clene wat & set it on the fire. cast all ?ise
> ?inne. when ?ey buth boiled cast ?to peer (pears?) & pboile hem wel. take ?ise
> thyng up & lat it kele on a fair cloth, do ?to salt whan it is colde in a vessel
> tkae vineg (vinegar) & powdo & safron & do ?to, & lat all ?ise thing lye ?in al
> nyzt o? al day, take wyne greke and hony clarified togid lumbarde mustard
> &raisons corance al hoo. & gyne powdo of canel powdo douce & ancys (anise) hole.
> & fenell seed. take alle ?ise thing & cast togyd i apot of erthe. and tkae ?of
> whan ? wilt & sue forth.
>
> My guess is you take all the parsley root, carrots or parsnips, turnips and
> cabbage, chunk them up and boil them in water. Then I'm not so sure. Looks like
> pears are parboiled and added or just added and parboiled, the whole thing is
> taken out of the cooking water and let cool.

Cool or possibly drain, in this case probably both.

 When cool it's put back in a pan
> with salt, vinegar, and saffron where it's allowed to sit for a period of time.
> Then greek wine and clarified honey along with lombard mustard, dried currents,
> powdered cinnamon, powder douce, whole aniseed (?) and fennel seed are added.
> It's served at room temperature.
>
> Can anyone tell me if I'm on track or way out in left field?
>
> Anyone want to take a guess on Greek wine and Lombard mustard?

Greek wine is just that: wine from Greece, which might be some kind of
resinated wine, one of those lovely Pine-Sol flavored beverages. I seem
to recall just using a slightly heavy, sweet white wine. Lombard mustard
is a whole-grain mustard with honey, wine, and vinegar.

> Last question, it appears this is a "have it around just in case" dish; would it
> have been served at dinner?

It's hard to say, but most of the rest of the dishes in the FoC seem to
have been considered feast-day dinner fare. On the other hand, it is
excellent with cold ham, so you decide.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy