SC - Need help with "Compost"

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 3 19:52:36 PDT 1999

Ras commented:
> As with many plants in the garden, other parts of parsley root may be able to
> be used for food but why bother when there are varieties that are better
> suited to the purpose? Certainly, worrying about the loss of secondary parts
> should not be a factor when harvesting the root.

I think you may be talking about the modern Middle Ages but I'm not sure.
If not, then I would answer "becasue it's there". You often see that in the
Middle Ages they made the most of everything they could. While they would
throw out those things they couldn't use which we can now reprocess in
our industrial society, sometimes we relegate things to reprocessing
that they would use. They would eat various organ meats and blood. We
process them into animal feeds.

In this case, if they even did grow a specific type of parsley for a
specific purpose, I imagine they would use or sell the other portion.
I was thinking of them eating these "inferior" roots, but possibly
they would feed them to pigs? Anyone know what was used to supplement
what the pigs foraged for themselves or even if this was done?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****