SC - Fwd: Re: RE [SCA-Caid] New World Food in Period.

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 23:15:36 PDT 1999

This was talked about on the Caidan List several days
ago.  Can anyone comment about the veracity of the
source that is being quoted?

Huette

- --- "C. Kevin Kellogg" <kellogg at rohan.sdsu.edu>
wrote:
> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:23:29 -0700
> To: sca-caid at rogues.net
> From: "C. Kevin Kellogg" <kellogg at rohan.sdsu.edu>
> Subject: Fwd: Re: RE [SCA-Caid] New World Food in
> Period.
>

> At 02:27 AM 9/25/99 -0700, Huette  wrote:
> >Avenel,
> >
> >If you would be so kind, would you cite your
> >source for Germany having "thriving potato crops by
> >1580"? None of the existing period German cookbooks
> >written after this date support this until way
after > >SCA period.

> >Huette
>
> I did mis-remember a bit.  I should have said
> 1600, not 1580.  I would direct you to a very
> interesting  book, _The History and Social Influence
> of the Potato_,  by Redcliffe Salaman, 1949,
> Cambridge University Press.
>
> He quotes Carolus Clusius from his 1601
> _Historia Rariorum plantarum_:
>
> ... The first mention I received of this plant is
> ... toward the beginning of the year 1588, ... The
> Italians do not know whence they first obtained it,
> but it is certain that they got it either from Spain

> or America. ...although it was so common and
frequent > in certain parts of Italy, for it is said
that they
> used to eat the tubers of it cooked with mutton in
> the same manner as they do with turnips and the
roots > of carrots. They actually employed it for
fodder for
> pigs. ... But now it has become sufficiently common
> in many gardens in Germany since it is so fecund.
>
> There are other late or just past period references
> to potatoes quoted.  Most suggest that potatoes can
> be cooked like truffles. Others specify Italy as the
> place where potatoes first took root in Europe (so
to > speak).

=====