SC - Nautical foodstuffs

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Oct 5 15:21:35 PDT 1999

>Hey Friends,
>I am coming up dry searching on the net, and am turning to you folk, since
>this is the best possible source for food related information.
>
>I am preparing an article on foodstuffs served on Ships during period,
>especially during late period. I have lists of foods that were served, but
>I was wondering if anybody had recipes that I might also include, such as
>salmagundi, ship's biscuit, hardtack, ragout, etc.
>I should like any source you might use, as well, that I might include it
>in the bibliography.
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Brandu

Well, Plat (Delights for Ladies) has some very interesting (& comical)
ideas about how to preserve flesh on ships by tossing it overboard in
pierced casks & dragging it behind the boat.  He also has several different
bisket recipes, a recipe for "To make Troffes for the Sea", "How to keepe
rosted Beefe a long time sweet and wholsome..." that was "fully proued in
that honourable voyage unto Cales." Etc.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"