SC - RE:Bread and Rise Time

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Tue Oct 5 16:48:03 PDT 1999

Zoe wrote:
>It was decent bread though, had a slightly sour taste to it.
>It's the rise time that accounts for this? Or is that how this particular
>bread is supposed to be. It was Ciabatta loaf, a kind I hadnt had before.

This is indeed how ciabatta should be. You make a starter and leave it to
rise overnight, then make a very soft dough (too soft to be kneaded by hand)
and let it rise for about 3 hours, don´t knock it back, shape it loosely,
taking care not to knock out the air, let rise for 20-25 minutes, then bake
it. It should have large air holes and a very open and light texture.

Nanna