SC - Sauce recipe for Lamb Shanks

Craig Jones & Melissa Hicks meliora at macquarie.matra.com.au
Wed Oct 6 12:42:14 PDT 1999

Artemis,

> Yet another quick question. I'm currently looking for a good
> (and preferably simple) sauce recipe to go over some roasted
> lamb shanks I'm serving at a feast. Something from around
> 1200-1350 would be ideal, but with a month to go I'm open to
> all suggestions.

A new variation that Drake & I have been using is as follows from Redon's
Medieval Kitchen.  The recipe is for Chicken but the sauce is really yummy
with lamb!!!

Roast Chicken.  To prepare roast chicken, you must roast it; and when it is
cooked, take orange juice or verjuice with rosewater, sugar and cinnamon and
place the chicken on a platter; and pour this mixture over it and send it to
table.  (Maestro Martino, Libro de Atre Coquinaria, no 127)

Redon's redaction of the sauce is:

juice of 3 bitter oranges (sevilles) OR 10 tablespoons verjuice plus 1
tablespoon rose water
1/2 tea sugar
1 pinch ground cinnamon
salt to taste

Drake's Variation:  Instead of pouring this over the meat, we heat it
separately and thicken with cornflour.  Presto - Gravy for Coeliac (allergic
to gluten) people.

If you need recipes for basic carmeline sauce or sauce vert, contact me
privately and I'll ship them to you. Eleanor and Jan should have my phone
number, or send a private email to this address or hicks_m at casa.gov.au

When's your event?  We would love to attend.

Regards
Meliora - from Polit.