SC - Hauviette's Confits

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Oct 6 21:55:55 PDT 1999

> > > Of course, someone interested in making these medicines themselves
> >should by
> > > all means try to perfect the technique. Candy making is an art in
> >itself.
> > > IIRC, Dame Alys has made an extensive study of this area and has
> >published
> > > several articles on it.
>
> where?  how can I get them?
>
> Cadoc

One of Alys' article is this one, which is available in the
FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section of my Florilegium:
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of the
                                       candying process by Alys Katharine.

These other articles, though not b yAlys may also be of interest:
Roses-a-Sugar-art (21K)  7/15/98    "Divers Pretty Things Made Of Roses &
Sugar"
                                       by Mistress Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.
Sugarplums-art    (19K)  7/15/98    "Visions of Sugarplums" by Mistress
                                       Renata Kestryl of Highwynds.

This file has a lot of info from Alys, although it is on sugar paste
rather than sugar candy:
sugar-paste-msg   (89K)  7/20/99    Making sugar paste sotelties.

And these may prove useful for general information on period types of
sugar, sugar use and recipes:
sugar-msg        (107K)  4/ 2/99    Sugar and other medieval sweeteners.
candy-msg        (136K)  9/23/99    Period candy. Recipes. Candied fruit peels.
   (this one has various confit recipes)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: