SC - Funnel Cakes (was [TY] cooking query)

Nick Sasso njs at mccalla.com
Thu Oct 7 06:16:51 PDT 1999

For thoise looking for the medieval funnel cake recipe, you will find it tiled something like "Cryspes".  They are made with a thickish batter that is put into a bowl with a hole in the bottom and drizzeled over heated grease.  When done, you scatter ground sugar on them.  It is used as a spice in this dish, not so much a sweetener.  Hooray for medieval Faire Foods!!

Might have to make these at an event some afternoon.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco

As far as medieval goodies go, you can bet good money on pie.  The are also
several candy-like sweets you could make (if you have a knack for making
confections).  Hard candy, soft candy, fudgy things...Another yummy
dessert-like item is funnel cake (my favorite fair food).  I've found a
couple recipes resembling cake.  I found that they were more like dense than
modern cake - like a cookie or sconce.  They were tasty nonetheless.
Dessert is one of my favorite foods - I can get you plenty of recipes if you
like.

Lady Angharad
House Fanciyam