SC - Grewe's Almohade Cookbook edition

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Thu Oct 7 13:02:50 PDT 1999

David Friedman wrote:
<<< The cookbook that Huici Miranda translated as "Manuscrito Anonimo"
is the Arabic cookbook that Charles Perry translated into English a few
years back (including correcting some mistakes that he attributed to
misplaced pages) and is included in Volume II of my collection. It's
13th century, however. I thought we were talking about something
earlier. >>>

I think we are speaking about the same cookbook, only that it was
characterised in different respects:
- -- Grewe says (p. 142): "The text [of the Almohade cookbook] can be
dated to the end of the twelfth or the beginning of the thirteenth
century by the historical references it contains". This is about the
_text_.
- -- Then he says (p. 142): "it [The Almohade Cookbbok] is a clear example
of the Hispano-Arabic cuisine of the twelfth century". This is about the
_cuisine_ (his title was "Hispano-Arabic cuisine in the twelfth
century").
- -- Huici Miranda in his title was speaking of "un manuscrito anónimo del
siglo XIII", thus about the _manuscript_, containing the text.

It is not unusual, that a manuscript contains a text, that is older than
the manuscript, and that a text describes culinary practices that are
still older than the text.

Is the Perry-translation online?

Best,
Thomas