SC - Sauce recipe for lamb shanks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 7 18:31:39 PDT 1999

"Artemis of St. Malachy" wrote:

> Thank you all for the recipe suggestions. If someone would like to post the
> recipe for the cameline sauce that would be great.

This is a nice version; it's the only one that seems to contain fruit;
the others are all, to some extent, like prepared mustard made with
cinnamon instead of mustard seed. For this reason, in spite of the fact
that this source (The Forme of Cury, ~1390 C.E.) is somewhat later than
the dates you specified, I thought this would be the best for your needs.

"149. Sawse camelyne. Take raysons of coraunce & kyrnels of notys &
crustes  of brede & powdour of gynger, clowes, flour of canel; bray it
wel togyder and do (th)erto salt. Temper it vp with vyneger, and serue
it forth."

Or, in other words,

Sauce cameline: Take dried currants and shelled nuts [probably walnuts,
maybe hazelnuts], crusts of bread, powdered ginger, powdered cloves, and
ground cinnamon, and pulverize it all together [in a mortar] and add
salt. Mix it til smooth with vinegar and serve.

I don't have a worked-out recipe with quantities and such, but I figure
approximately equal quantities of currants and nutmeats would be about
right, with about half as much of the heel of, say, a whole wheat loaf,
as of either the nuts or the currants. Cinnamon should definitely
predominate among the spices, with just touches of ginger and clove, and
a mild vinegar like malt, sherry or white wine vinegar to your own taste
and preferred consistency. Salt to taste. I wouldn't serve this
immediately, in spite of the recipe. I'd give it an hour or two at least
to sit before serving, and mix it well at the last minute before dishing
it up.

Hope this does it for you!

Adamantius
- --