SC - ramp

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 09:39:31 PDT 1999

>From: Mordonna22 at aol.com
>rhiannon at madcelt.com writes:
>
><<  I'm wondiring if anyone can tell me what ramp is,
>
>Ramp is a green vegetable similar in appearance to greens like mustard,
>turnips, spinach, or kale.

You are thinking of creasy greens.  Ramps are like wild garlic.  At least,
those are the North Carolina mountain definitions I learned when we moved to
Winston-Salem in 1978.  But these things vary,  Daffodils are commonly
called buttercups in central NC where I currently live.

>If you live in the Southeastern United States,
>the green stuff in your yard could be ramp, or it could be poke sallet

I'm not sure where this plant is in the scheme of things Appalachian.

Bonne