SC - Period Sugar Refining, Etc.

alysk at ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 8 10:36:43 PDT 1999

Greetings!  There are descriptions of period sugar refining techiques, locations of
refineries, types of sugar (more than 6 were sold), etc., in several "History of Sugar"
books.  Ask at your local library.  One I recall that was particularly detailed was
Strong's book.  I read several in preparation for an article entitled "On Powdered Sugar"
which was printed in TI quite a few years ago.  I may have a copy on file in my computer,
although I didn't include a lot of what I had gleaned from the history books.  Sugar
_was_ quite white.  It depended on how long/how many times the sugar went through the
refining process.  The longer/more times it was refined, the whiter it got, as well as
being more expensive.  Early on (up to 1100?? 1200??) the whitest was reserved for the Sultan
of Egypt, according to Strong.

I believe it was Thomas who asked about when sugar became used more as an ingredient
than as a topping.  That partially depends on what country you are asking about.  Since
the early refineries, outside of the Middle East, were in Italy, the Italians first began
using sugar on a wider basis than anyone else.  Around Tudor/Elizabethan times (memory
fails me), a refinery opened in Holland.  The history books are detailed and not bad
reading, if you really want the facts.

I, too, have ground sugar finely in a mortar.  And some recipes say to sift (searce) the
sugar through various cloths - lawn, silk, etc.  Presumably the finest siftings would go
through and one would re-grind the larger crystals until it all passed through.

Can anyone tell me if my review of _A Feast for the Eyes_ by Gillian Riley ever made
it on the List?  I posted it two or three days ago, but since I get the digest version
I sometimes miss seeing things.  Someone asked if the book were worth purchasing which is
why I did the review.  I can re-post it if it never arrived.

Cataract surgery went well.  I am now left with two eyes that see at different distances.
It will be a challenge to get them to work together... .-)

Alys Katharine