SC - Ramp/Wild Onion - a description

rhiannon at madcelt.com rhiannon at madcelt.com
Fri Oct 8 14:38:48 PDT 1999

OK, I've gone into the front yard and dug up what my husband had referred to
as ramp.  Mind you, the size might be stunted because the lawn gets mowed
regularly.  I have some small plants, 6 to 10 inches long from root to tip,
with round, chive like stems. Its growth habit is to form tufts or mounds -
all ours are about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.  Just above the root is a bulb
the size and color of those bottled cocktail onions.  They are strong but
pleasant smelling.  So is this ramp or is it a wild onion?  Can I do
anything with this beside drive my cats crazy?  They are acting like I've
brought catnip into the house!

Rhiannon