SC - potato storage OOP??

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Sat Oct 9 08:42:57 PDT 1999

Lady Kinga wrote:
>Um, I keep my potatoes in the bottom drawer of my refrig (as well as my
>onions), as I do not use them all that frequently. ...

This is fine except for one thing: if your fridge goes below about 40
degrees F (i. e. a safe temperature for meat storage) then the spuds turn
some of their starches into sugar. This changes their taste, texture,
cooking properties, and nutritional content. For short-term storage before
using, the refrigerated ones might keep better above 50 degrees F so that
they can change some sugar back to starch. Don't know just how long that takes.

> ... I do not seem to have the "green" discoloration
>that you folks describe, although I have been told that if you buy them
>like that in the store, that they may have been harvested to soon and
>are not "ripe" so to speak.

As far as I know, potatoes are ready to eat as soon as they are formed. Some
are harvested very young and small, in bite-sized portions. If they were
green when they grew, they probably weren't fully covered by the ground.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon