SC - RE:Bread and Rise Time

Sun Oct 10 08:48:14 PDT 1999

Now this is interesting!  A slipper loaf with a hole the size of a silver
dollar running the length of the loaf.  I think, someone is being cute.

The loaf you described is a good baguette (French).  A ciabatta (Italian) is
a rectangular loaf about 10 x 4 inches.  It is made from a very soft, sticky
dough which allows the crumb to become very porous and chewy.  It is a
leavened flat bread.  It may have pockets the size of the tip of your little
finger, but I don't think it should have large air pockets.

Carol Field in The Italian Baker describes the loaf as beginning with a 12
hour sponge, 1 1/2 hour first rise, and a 2 hour second rise.  From looking
at the recipe, I would expect it to be slightly sour, but very flavorful.
There should be a slight taste from the olive oil used to make the dough.

Now you have me wondering and I don't have time right now to make the bread.
Drat!

Bear