SC - Re 1683

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Tue Oct 12 13:39:50 PDT 1999

Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 15:15:52 CEST
From: "Christina van Tets" <cjvt at hotmail.com>
Subject: SC - green potatoes

and someone else whose name escapes me wrote:

>My parents have always kept the onions hanging in the mesh bag they came in
>and
>the potatoes in a wire/mesh basket arrangement (it has three layers, my mom
>is
>short, my dad hung it rather high 20+ years ago, we only use the bottom
>layer)
>that I've also seen other people use for citrus fruits.
>
>The potatoes in my parents kitchen have never gone greenish but their
>kitchen
>doesn't exactly have much light (it's underground) and we go through
>potatoes
>fairly quickly.
>
>I just assumed it was normal to have potatoes (and some onions for ease of
>reach) in the wire mesh basket thing, I've seen a few kitchens with the
>same
>thing.

So that's the secret.  It makes sense.  Nice to have an underground kitchen
for constant temperature too.  Anyone got a spade?

- ---
I guess it does, especially when one considers the original role of this room
was a root cellar.  When the house was renovated in the twenties it became the
kitchen and most of the large fireplace in the dining room was filled in
(rather well I might add, you can't tell how big it was originally).  This
kitchen is entirely too small, has very little counter space, and is crowded
with one person and a cat.

Given the choice, I would like an underground kitchen, nicer temperatures when
cooking in the summer.  But also given the choice, I'd like a larger kitchen.
The one I have is much nicer than my parents' spacewise.