SC - A Winter food

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Wed Oct 13 07:10:24 PDT 1999

Hello!  There are 10 period menus given in Harleian MS 279 & 2 in Harl. MS
4016.  Of those that give dates, all list pheasant on the menu. The dates
are:

Sept. 16th, 1425;
Dec. 4, 1424;
Feb. 7, 1404 (date provided by Thomas Austin for the wedding banquet of
Henry IV & Joan of Navarre);
Oct., 1399;
Sept. 23, 1387.

This February feast lists other game birds such as Quail & Woodcock, small
birds and 'fieldfare'. It also lists "Signettys", or young swans.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"