SC - RE: running a feast

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Oct 14 22:21:06 PDT 1999

Adamantius said:
> As it happens, the King made sure everyone at high table had as much of
> the roast as they wanted, asked me to carve the rest, climbed down from
> the dais (there was a stage in the hall), and went from table to table
> with the platter, making sure everyone had a bit. They actually had
> their own roasts, but while they were top rounds, they were by no means
> anything to be ashamed of.

I think this sending the leftovers down to the lower tables is a wonderful
way to do it and very period. The fact that the King himself served it would
be a special bonus. It also satisfies most of my objections to special foods
for the high table. I have ohjections to subsidizing the high table with the
event funds. I suspect that the IRS would also if it ever looked into it
in detail. Where they would draw the line at such things benefiting the
few at the cost of the many, I have no idea. This is the same reason that
expensive gifts cannot be bought with group funds for retiring barons and
such.

> Of course, I wouldn't recommend such a donation to anyone, but anybody
> can choose to donate anything they want as far as food goes, according
> to inclination and budget.

Yes and I think that is the way it should be done. For instance, I'm
cooking a dessert course for the past barons/esses and the Royalty at
our next event in a week. This is coming out of my pocket not event
funds.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at: