SC - Has anyone ever encountered...

colette waters collette at kricket.net
Fri Oct 15 15:09:44 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:
Interesting. You mean there is a name for this? And that someone actually
wants to do this? Or is this a matter of salvaging a mistake? I thought
you were supposed to cook rice (and other grains) so they didn't stick
or burn to the pot.

In some areas of South Louisiana especially where there is a very strong French
German influence, being able to cook a pot of rice that contained fluffy grains
that fall separately and a crisp brown crust at the same time demonstrates your
skill as a cook. The crust is often given to the children as a treat.  In my
family, I can account for this tradition for at least six generations.
Begga