SC - Re: 12th Night Menu

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Sun Oct 17 08:16:57 PDT 1999

Kerri writes:

>>Here's the tentative menu for our upcoming 12th Night. At present, there are
three courses but this could be divided up further into four or five.

This is where you fine list-folks can help us. We're attempting to set the
courses up in concordance with the various humours (the first course having
those foods that "open" the stomach and the last course including foods that
"close" the stomach). Your advice on dish placement within this dinner would
be
most appreciated.

First course
Bruette Saake
Blancmange of fish
Chicken Lombard
Perre
Rapeye
Small Pies
daryoles/doucettes (custard tarts)
Armored turnips

Second course
Pies of Paris
Ham
Compost
Halibut fresh boiled
Wardyns in sirup
Tartlettes
Carrots (parboiled or fried or pottage, not decided yet)
Hare in Wortys

Third course
Winter squash tart
Tart de Brymlent
Roast of pork w/sauces
Egurdouce of fysshe
Turnips w/chestnuts and sage
Sausages
Beets (parboiled or fried or pottage, not decided yet)
Losyns

Hippocras and wafers to close

We also plan to have entrements and spectacle foods as well.

Comments? Please?<<

This looks like a great feast!  What I would do, based on a generalization
drawn from the historic menus in "Two Fifteenth-Century Cook-Books", is put
the soups and potages at the beginning of each course, and the tarts and pies
at the end.  But if you bring all the dishes to the table all at once, this
hardly matters!

Rudd Rayfield