SC - Re: cheddar in beets recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 19 07:53:38 PDT 1999

Ian Gourdon wrote:

> >Regarding the recipe you posted it sounds  good but what justification is
> >there for the use of Cheddar cheese? Did this cheese exist at that time? - Ras
>
> Cheese Variety          Year(AD)
> --------------          --------
> Gorgonzola              879
> Roquefort               1070
> Grana                   1200
> Cheddar                 1500
> Parmesan                1579
> Gouda                   1697
> Gloucester              1697
> Stilton                 1785
> Camembert               1791
>
> Data compiled from Scott (1986).

We know a cheese made around/marketed from Cheddar existed at that time.
We don't know what it was like, but I've recently had some uncooked (And
un"cheddared") English cheddar that might be pretty close to what it
was, and that was more like a hybrid Parmesan and aged Gouda.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com