SC - re: chard

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Oct 19 18:29:28 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/19/99 9:21:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kyliewalker at hotmail.com writes:

<<  is the beet part used in cooking
 as well? >>

The root on chard is no digger around than an average carrot at the end of
the season and somewhat shorter. I have never heard of eating them because
the mass of stalk and leaves to root suggests that it would not be worth the
effort for the amount that would be harvested for the roots. However, with
the German recipe for beetroot, they could possibly have been used an aside
to the stalks and leaves. And they are white which fits the rest of the
description posted.

BTW, I have never seen any chard available in the market with roots attached
which are large enough to consider making a separate meal from. I have pulled
them from the garden but again the mass was insufficient for me to bother
with.

Ras