Period snails (was Re: SC - Period Beet Recipe)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Oct 20 07:06:07 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 20 Oct 99,, that Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> 'Lainie
> AKA SLUG Queen Carmen Slugana, the Most Mucilaginous Majesty of Mollusks
>
> OBLIGATORY FOOD CONTENT:
>  Are there any period recipes for escargot?

Granado (1599) gives 2 recipes for snails, along with a description of
how to find and clean them and when to eat them.  One is for frying
them and the other is for a pottage.  I'll post them later.  (I can barely
handle English before my second cup of coffee, let alone translation.)

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann