SC - Re: what hawks eat

Ian Gourdon agincort at raex.com
Wed Oct 20 15:01:34 PDT 1999

>... I do know from reading about hawking in either smithsonian or >natural history in the 80s that the proceedure is to have the hawk >bring the bird or mammal to the owner, who snaps the neck if it isnt >dead, and then the hawk gets a  tidbit as a reward. I understand this >tends to be either some of the pluck or a small chunk of meat from a >paw from a critter. I would probably guess that things haven't changed >much in the past few centuries in hawking...
> margali

There was a performer with hawks and falcons at a Ren faire near
Gwyntarian, a couple years ago, and he fed them little rewards in the
form of baby chicken bits. Historically, they may have fed them parts
from the previously killed. In any case, he did say that hawks liked
ground animals, and falcons went after other birds...
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
- - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
http://web.raex.com/~agincort