SC - silverbeet

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 10:06:52 PDT 1999

Hello the list!  Silver beet, Lucrezia, is nothing like New Zealand spinach,
which is a small succulent (I think it's called Tetragon
something-or-other).  I grew up calling swiss chard silver beet (in
Melbourne) because it was also possible to get spinach in the shops.
However, when I got to Sydney, no-one knew silver beet - it was all
'spinach' (which really went against the grain for me) and 'English
spinach'.  FWIW, I have used beetroot tops in recipes normally calling for
silver beet, and that worked quite nicely.  They go sludgy really quickly,
though - you can't keep them in the fridge anywhere near as long.  And New
Zealand Spinach is really easy to grow - my mum planted some _in_ the
sandpit when we grew out of using it, and when we came back to that house
some 4 years later you couldn't see the sandpit (which was 4'x3').  We spent
the next couple of years trying to get it out of nearby flower borders.

Hope this helps, but it's probably confused the issue even further.

Cairistiona