SC - period Hungarian dishes

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Thu Oct 21 03:29:54 PDT 1999

Noemi wrote:
<< <THere are several 'hungarian' dishes in German cookbooks.>
I would really wonder if these are actually Hungarian recipies or are
what Germans of the time thought Hungarians ate. >>

Absolutely true, that one has to be very careful about the value of
these sources. I cannot comment on that as I do not know 'real'
hungarian recipes of that time. I can imagine, that at least the
documents of professional cooks like Jean de Bockenheim or Marx Rumpolt
should be somehow reliable, because they were _cooking for_ people of
different nations, e.g. at diplomatic meetings, and because they had a
chance to meet colleagues from other countries.

<< <München: Codex germanicus monacensis 349 (1548) fol. 118r ss.
 (Vermerk ein guede kunst von vngrischen oder pechamyschen essen zu
 kochen ...)>.
It is possible this is the one that Lang mentions, although the date is
a bit late, the one he discusses is recipies from the wedding feast of
Hollos Mattyas (Matthias Corvinus) in 1475. >>

Wiswe dates the text in 1548, however, in the list of manuscripts in 'Du
manuscrit a table', the same manuscript (cgm 349) is dated earlier: in
the second half of the 15th century. So the dates given by either can be
wrong. THe titles of the 4 recipes according to 'Du manuscrit':
- -- Karpfen Im furhesß und ein safran prúe
- -- Inber prúe und praden kopaún
- -- nágel prúe zw machen an pachen hecht oder Karpen
- -- Peffer zw wilpradt
The first two are in the Wiswe-picture. If I find my magnifying glass, I
can try and transcribe them (the picture is very small).

Let me add one thing from the 10th century: the earliest source for
Hungarian cuisine seems to be the chronicle of a monk, called Heribald,
in Sanct Gallen (the story is told in: M. Horvath, Die Paprika-Kueche.
Ein ungarisches Kochbuch, Stuttgart 1957). He describes, how Hungarian
soldiers attacked the monastery in 925. All the monks were gone before,
except him. He said that he was treated very kind by them. In the
evening they grilled a well seasened ox, that, according to Heribald,
was _very_ tasty...

Cheers,
Thomas
(Thanks Robin/Brighid for the Granado-reference!)