SC - period Hungarian dishes

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Thu Oct 21 08:35:57 PDT 1999

In a message dated 10/21/1999 3:33:32 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de writes:

<< Wiswe dates the text in 1548, however, in the list of manuscripts in 'Du
 manuscrit a table', the same manuscript (cgm 349) is dated earlier: in
 the second half of the 15th century. >>

I guess the real key then is to get someone to read the manuscript and see if
it mentions the wedding feast of Matthias Corvinus.

<<THe titles of the 4 recipes according to 'Du manuscrit':
- -- Karpfen Im furhesß und ein safran prúe
- -- Inber prúe und praden kopaún
- -- nágel prúe zw machen an pachen hecht oder Karpen
- -- Peffer zw wilpradt>>

This might actually be of some help since Lang gives descriptions of three of
the recipies.  The best description he gives(good enough that I've recreated
the recipe) is for Savanyu Vetrece (Sour Vetrece) which is beef in a sour
cream and vinegar sauce.  The other two he gives are as follows, "The carp
dish at the feast was prepared as follows: First the fish was roasted; then
gingerbread and white rolls were cooked in wine and pressed through a sieve;
then apple and pear added and agian the whole thing pureed.  Finally the
roast fish was placed in the middle of this puree and served with saffron
honey.  Another dish was capon in ginger juice thickened with the dough of a
white roll cooked in wine peppered and properly salted."  If the two reciepes
you have access two resemble any of these at all then it is the right source.

The final reference you give is one I've seen before and is a fine
description of the early Magyar raiding parties. . .

Noemi