SC - Jewish food in Stormhold

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Thu Oct 21 17:32:03 PDT 1999

Greetings all,

I received the following email regarding the lass in Stormhold who
Cairistiona thought may be redacting period Jewish recipes.  If I'm wrong
Cairistiona and you thought it was someone else, please contact me.

Thanks
Meliora.

> ----------

<snip>

I don't _think_ that many of Mim's recipes are out of books. Things like
her Chicken soup and Cholent are recipes she got from her mother, who
got them from her mother, who... etc. While I doubt they have been much
changed over the last 500 years or so, I have no way of proving it, but Mim
has researched mediaeval Jewish food and customs as part of her BA, and
knows more about this sort of thing than I do. (Ask me about Irish customs..
I dare you!) ...

I've just spoken with Mim.. She said that there is a huge problem with
period Jewish recipes - the Inquisition. Any book in Hebrew, or owned
by a Jew, tended to become kindling, so there are almost no primary
sources. Any files the Inquisition kept were more likely to concentrate
on the use of Babies' blood and adder's poison, than on the use of pepper.
She will see what she can do about recipes and articles, and YES, she would
love to see the book.

<at this stage I had mentioned "Drizzle of Honey" to him>

And yes, posting this on to the mail-list is fine.