SC - Russian dishes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Oct 23 07:56:10 PDT 1999

At 10:25 AM -0400 10/24/99, Richard Keith wrote:

> I must agree with His Grace that all things did not change equally or
>toghether.  If one is looking at A rein such as Peter the Great, I would
>have to say his cooking etc was much more Westernized.  That was one of
>Peter's Goal.  However, I doubt that the average pesant ate any
>differently that they had for many  a century.

Do we know how fast potatoes went into use in the countryside? My general
impression is that where new food crops had a substantial advantage over
old ones, as potatoes in some areas clearly did, they could go into use
pretty fast. Peasants may be conservative, but they are also hungry.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/