SC - Period Beet Recipe & period quote about beets

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Mon Oct 25 01:20:05 PDT 1999

Cadoc wrote:
>Henry, you're walking a fine line between knowledge and definition.
>Knowing something is a certain way is one thing, making a conscious
>definition is another entirely.  It's kindalike the difference between
>clicking on the internet button to get on the net and knowing exactly what
>happens step by step when the program is run.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. I was talking specifically about a kind of
knowledge that can be applied *without* technical understanding. To wit,
that one feels satistfied after eating one kind of food, but still hungry
after another, and that the amounts eaten will also affect the outcomes.
There was never any question of calorie counting or molecular biology.

My point was that while period people had far less technical knowledge about
nutrition, they did have a concept thereof with some practical applications.
And that it is fallacious to say that a concept didn't exist in period just
because nobody had defined and quantified it to modern standards.

Thank you for your concern, but I am well able to walk around these "fine
lines" without tripping over them. If you will refer to your own example,
you might find that both cases can lead to the ability to get on the net.
Which is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about to begin with.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon