SC - ...period quote about beets+ Nominalism

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Oct 26 03:37:16 PDT 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Stop, please! I'm getting split hairs all over my head!
>
> You wouldn't have any such problem; slugs have no hair.
>
> So - to get back on topic, what's a period way to split a hare?

As of about the 16th century, in England, this was known as
spatchcocking or spitchcocking, and was originally applied to various
game birds and chickens, but was later extended to a variety of young
beasties, including eels, rabbits, and probably hare. The main incision
is made along the spine: using the flexible rib joints along the sides,
you open the torso up like a triptych, whacking the sternum area with
your fist to flatten it further. Your now flattened hare is then held
open with sticks and can be grilled or roasted over a fire.
Traditionally served today with mustard and a breadcrumb coating.
Supposedly named for cooking poached birds (cocks) with despatch or
speed. See various works of Theodora Fitzgibbon, and Larousse under "en
crapaudine", for further info.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy