SC - seasonal hazards...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 31 20:17:07 PST 1999

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

> Bonne of Traquair wrote:

> > Her buddies the twins
> > borrowed her garb for costume, meanwhile, she bought an old prom dress at
> > goodwill, applied lots of fake blood and went as the dead prom queen.
> > Gross.

Kewl! Remember when "The Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun" was considered
funny? That was before, in essence, it came true. Maybe I'm reading too
much into this, but can you get away with that sort of costume today in
America's Heartland?

> My girls are out in garbm veils and all, looking like a couple of
> Frankish princesses, and the SCARY part is how beautiful they look. My
> son went out in Rotrude's beaded Frankish tunic, with my court cloak and
> openwork circlet, looking the heir to the throne.

Mine rejected any suggestion of SCA garb, and went out in a rather
stunning Harry Potter ensemble, complete with lightning scar, glasses,
black robes and conical wizard's cap, broomstick, and Hogwarts Quidditch
jersey. The best thing was anybody who realized who he was supposed to
be (roughly ninety percent of the population of the city) knew that my
wife and myself, in ordinary street clothes, were Muggles. (Read the
books, okay?)

Of course, we were probably in a relative safe haven ourselves; there's
talk in some other parts of the country of banning the Harry Potter
books, because (get this!) they promote witchcraft, Satanism, and
disrespect for authority figures -- the biggest threat to Western
civilization since Pokemon...;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy