SC - scadianisms

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 15:02:35 PDT 1999

Granted that some don't like my suggestion about using International
measurements, none the less, I feel it's the way to go. Everybody doesn't
live in the US, and the guy writing the program, if he wants to make any
money at it, likely would want to be able to sell to as wide an audience as
possible.

How about this- is there some way he could have, say, three columns, each
clickable for leading, where you could enter your amounts by whichever the
recipe specifies? So, for example, you have a recipe from Italy, and it's
given in metric weights and volumes, so you click on metric, and enter from
there, but your next is from the US, so you click on US measurements, and
add from there.

Alternatively, in order to fit in all the ways people measure things, he'd
have to be able to set up an automatic conversion program- a tablespoon of
dried, powdered spices is X grams metric and 3/4 Tablespoon English, or
whatever. I'm sure it could be done, but you'd be spending a lot of time
figuring out the coversions- after all, a Tablespoon of dried, chopped,
chives isn't going to weigh what a tablespoon of curry or mustard powder
might.

I'd love to see taking the time for the automatic conversion, but a sort of
changeable spread sheet idea would work.

Without using the weights, or as Bear mentioned, the percentages, you're
still going to have the problem with the spicings being a bit off.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio