SC - german/prussian recipe, help needed

Helen helen at directlink.net
Wed Sep 1 18:23:48 PDT 1999

I feel learning by watching oftentimes has it's advantages over learning by
reading.

Example:  My sister married a man from Louisiana who was raised in a home with a
wonderful cook and one of her "special dishes" was some crawfish dish (I can't
remember exactly what).  Well, she asked for the recipe and the cook wrote it
down for her.  She prepared it for her husband and he remarked that it was
"good", but not as good as good has the Cook's.  She tried again and again and
it was "close", no Crawfish Stew".  She finally figured out that he must have an
emotional attachment to the Cook's dish, 'cause hers was made "just like it".

Well, at a family get-together she sat in the kitchen watching the cook make the
dish.  The Cook put the crawfish in a pot of water and cooked them (just like
she had written down).  She then drained them (like she wrote), and prepared all
the rest of dish JUST like it had been written down.  Then she added the water,
just like she had written down:  "Add 2 quarts of water."  Only she took the
water from the pot where she had cooked the crawfish, not from the Tap like my
sister had thought she meant. BIG DIFFERENCE in the dish.  :-)

First time she made it back at home her husband was impressed that she "finally
got it right".  :-)

Rayne