SC - RE:New CA: French Food in the Renaissance

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Sep 1 22:12:05 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 1 Sep 99,, that Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> Thank-you, milady. Your translation looks good, "feels" right, and the
> explanation of how and why you translated things as you did was helpful as
> well.

It's hard sometimes, when I know what the phrase means, but there
seems to be no coherent way to phrase it in English.

> I'm wondering- on the points of garlic- could he have either meant the
> little spikes which appear on the end of the clove when they start to
> grow, or perhaps the green plants themselves, which are rather like spring
> onions?

Perhaps... but I don't think so.  One of the details I didn't mention, is
that I consulted the 1739 dictionary for the meaning of "punta".  One of
the definitions it provided was (I translate the dictionary entry here) "This
is interpreted also as the small part of some thing, material or
immaterial; and so it is said: He has his point of garlic..."

If I was going to interpret it as something other than a clove of garlic, I
would tend to interpret it as *part* of a clove of garlic.  That might
account for the use of the atypical word.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann