Chorizos (was Re: SC - Sausages from the Danish cookbook)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 2 17:37:26 PDT 1999

>and that the ubiquitous cheddar worked well, though the orange stuff
>was a bit agregious (the yellow food coloring being added fairly recently
>to duplicate the effects of the cow eating a lot of real grass)

acually, an aquaintence of mine with an interest in historical cheeses will
wax quite eloquent about how dying cheese yellow/orange is in fact
period--15th cen, I think he can document it to.  The color indicates a
higher cream content...so of course, people started faking it to make their
cheese look "richer."  I'll ask him to send me the documetation if anyone
would like, though it may take a bit.

Alethea