SC - scadianisms

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Sep 2 23:03:31 PDT 1999

hey all from Anne-Marie

we are asked:
> So the process of cheddaring isn't period?

again, all my reading had told me was that the TERM was dated to 1660 or
some such. The term modernly refers to a specific process...I ahve no
documentation one way or another that the process would have happened earlier.

I wondered, the cheese list that
>came  down the list last Pennsic (See we did talk more then twinkies last
>year) had it listed  at 1500 Ad with a source being here:
>http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/SDA/book1.html
><http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/SDA/book1.html>

If this is really a pointer to a primary source that describes the process
of cheddaring, that would be very cool! :)
Then she asks:>
>Then I guess my question is now, why make less filling? What did you use to
>judge how  thick the filling should be? I'm trying to learn to work from
>primary sources myself , and just wonder how you made that choice.

Again, it is a good size to make if you only have four or so folks at a
reconstruction meeting, or are serving the pie along with a billion other
dishes as part of a big banquet and so want smaller pieces. As I stated in
the recipe, if you're planning on using it for a main dish, or a potluck
contribution, you probably would want to bulk it up a bit so you dont look
too stingy. We picked the amount we did, based on how big it ends up, and
an easily multiplyable amount of mushrooms :).

And yes, the editor duplicated one page, leaving out the primary source
information. Grr. She promised me that everyone will be getting an errata
sheet in the mail.

You should make the eggs...they're to die for...:)
- --AM