SC - SC Re: New CA: French Food in the Renaissance

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 3 06:12:40 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/3/99 3:44:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< FWIW, and with respect, I think this is a pretty monumental non-issue.
 Today there are people who won't eat the edge of the pizza crust,
Snip good points

The fact that there are some things that people today won't eat really
 doesn't prove that these things weren't eaten by our period forebears.
 Flour-and-water dough is one of them. Note that I'm not saying such
 dough was regularly eaten. But if it was, so what?

Good Point.  Some of us may have been overreacting.  And what is FWIW?

 > You cannot imagine how much I Now regret the choice of the Word  Nazi in
this
 > context.
snip
 But rather that people have differing viewpoints and that we
 > should accept where someone is coming from and be willing to accept
 > information and criticism from them.  Thus learn from everybody.

Snip

Thus the insult or viewpoint one perceived the individual
 > becomes replaced with, here is that person whom knows more that I do.  Lets
 > Glean information from them.

 I think this is an excellent example of why that particular word seems
 to be generally accepted as forbidden in the Internet subculture. I know
 on the EK mailing list you only have to use the word to end a thread.
  Snip
 I think perhaps the term that applies best for SCA use is "period
 control freak".

I agree and will use that term in the future.

 > I still would like the documentation on the franks eating people in period.

 Dog bites man, huh? I thought you wanted the reverse: evidence of people
 eating the Franks. In any case, I seem to recall seeing on this list
 accounts of early Crusaders (who may well have been termed "Franks", not
 only by their enemies in al-Islam, but even by themselves) eating
 non-Christians when under siege. Does anybody have that information on
 hand? As I recall that was posted by Lord Ragnar, the gentleman from Lochac.

Way back when I first posted this I commented about Franks being served.
Cariadoc wrote back the as you stated above about it being reversed.  At that
point I was curious about the facts.  Sometimes, I amaze our shire with real
tidbits of history.    Could be an interesting theme for a feast.

I hope that by know people understand what I was trying to say.  If I have
offended anyone I apologise and offer the hospitality of Philps camp next
year and her beer.

 advancing to the rear double time, heading for the collapable white castle
with a real moat containing blow-up gators.

Frederich