SC - Nazi confusion: in the soup

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sat Sep 4 02:41:49 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/4/99 2:39:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Is the winning of points the only reason you shot archery at the War
before?>>

Yes.

 <<Did you not enjoy it?>>

Not particularly, nut since i have a heart condition which  forbids me from
beating on my friends with sticks, archery is the next best thing. :-)

 <<Even without war points, can you not find challenge in
 trying to beat your own previous records or trying a new type of shoot?>>

Possibly, but since I belong to a Mercenary household, my purpose at War is
to fight, kill (e.g., make points) and destroy the 'enemy.' Without an enemy
such activities become pointless. :-) <irony intended>

 <<Why do you cook SCA feasts?>>

Because I like food and SCA cookery gives me a venue to try foods I have
never eaten before. I would be surprised if those attending feasts did not do
so for the same reason.

<< Do you cook them because of some "points"
 or some award?>>

This is, of course, totally different from the marshal arts and has no
bearing in my mind on my argument. War is War. Conflict is conflict. In any
conflict there must be a winner. You, nor anyone else, can convince me
otherwise. Sorry.

 <>

I do enjoy it. That is why I cook. I don't enjoy 'killing' people,
figuratively or otherwise. To reduce the level of a people at War to the
level of feeding people and filling ones belly is absurd and totally
irrelevant, IMO.

 <<If you don't enjoy it, don't do it.>>

If I ever find myself in that position, I will quit cooking and sharing. No
problem.

 <<There are some folks who get in a mindset that winning the War is
 everything.>>

It is. As I said before, War is War. prettying it up and making it
'politically correct' will not change that fact, no matter how much the lily
livered pansies think so (not that you are one of those, of course).

 <<This often leads to rhinohiding, which leads to ill will
 and can lead to injuries. >>

Which means basically that the marshals are not doing their job of removing
those that are a danger on the field? Just because authorities are reticent
to do their job is no reason whatsoever to change the rules. If people are
rhino hiding and the marshals are not removing them from combat then take
away the marshal's right to referee. it's that simple.

<<Sometimes it is good to step back from
 this mentality and I think that is what the Crowns of the involved
 kingdoms decided to do this year.

Good? Proof? How so? Who says on what authority? Competition is always good.
Lack thereof leads to mediocrity. I for one am not satisfied with mediocrity.

Ras