SC - Re: [Rinaslist] Please advise about rice & lentils

M. Reuter moshe at escape.ca
Sun Sep 5 08:09:11 PDT 1999

I have always found that the old trick of putting the dry
goods [flour, rice, any grain product, any legume etc] in
the freezer for 3 days or so kills off any miller or weevil
eggs present. I just make sure that if I am not going to use
it right away to wrap it up securely to make sure no new
creepies can get in to lay eggs. If the bug is already in
there, I just pour the legumes/whole grains into a large
flattish container and sort through the things to get out
any bugs or bug nibbled pieces. If it is a powder, I sift
well to make sure all the bits are out. There are enough bug
bits/rodent feces/hairs in comemrcial foods that I figure a
good cooking kills the germs, and probably won't kill me if
a few microscopic fragments makes it into my meal. Of course
what has teh most ick factor for me is maggots....squirmy
rice-bleacch!
margali

> Now I've just opened up a container of Abrorio rice from Texas and I found
> one dead bug.   (Grrrrr.....)
>
> Should I throw out the rice or wash the rice and use it?  Does running under
> cold water clean up lentils and rice so that you don't get sick?  Are bugs
> unavoidable?
>
> I am really grossed out!  I do not like bugs!!!  Please advise!
> Many thanks
> Phillipa

- --
To respond, take out the word "cuskynoles"