SC - Re: [Rinaslist] Please advise about rice & lentils

D. Clay-Disparti Clay at talstar.com
Sun Sep 5 14:28:46 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>  Lady Seton writes:
>  << Now I've just opened up a container of Abrorio rice from Texas and I
> found one dead bug.  (Grrrrr.....)>>

> Lord Ras writes:
>  Depends on what type of 'bug' you found although I would be more than a
>  little surprised if you actually found any bugs at all. The usual denizens
>  of grain products are either moths or beetles. I have never found a real
bug in
>  any of my grain products.

Having lived in Texas for several years I can certainly remember grub like
things (I presumed them to be weevils) in my dry foods.  I learned by
experience that usually if there were grubs visible on opening the product,
chances were good that they were pretty much going to be throughout the whole
thing.  Not wishing to spend hours going through trying to find them all, and
because the whole thing grossed me out, I'd usually end up either taking the
stuff back to the store for a replacement, or just throwing it out if it was
that bad.   Storing in Tupperware type containers definately helps the
problem.

Elysant