SC - Pennsic competition

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 19:11:23 PDT 1999

Hi -

Just thought I'd give a quick report on the event I helped cook for at the Shire
of St Florian-de-la-Riviere (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)

As it was a Royal Visit for the Prince & Princess of Lochac the head cooks
decided that finger food that could be wandered around with (leaving one hand
free to carry your wine glass) would be the way to go.

I was responsible for 4 of the 22 dishes -  (the crew consisted of 2 head cooks
and 4 assistant cooks - 6 in total)

My dishes were -
Stuffed Eggs  (from "Medieval Kitchen" by Redon (et al)
Sausage Hedgehods (Playn Delight)
Fennel & Leeks (from "Mediterranen Cuisine" by Santich)
& Mushroom pasties (Playn Delight)

The Mushroom pasties (actually tartlets) were pre-cooked on the friday, leaving
me the other 3 to make on the day.

All four recipes proved to be simple and easy to follow (although the fennel
bulbs that were supplied were massive and I had a number of evil thoughts when
trying to "slice thinly" as per the recipe requirements).    I also have
discovered that my version of hell will no doubt include me being forced to
place slivers of almonds in small pork balls...... (definately one of the most
monotonous jobs I've found so far!)

All in all the event went over very well (the cry of "no more food" went up
about three quarters of the way into the night and we left them to nibble on the
deserts as they wished)

The other dishes were :
Chicken in Lemon Sauce  (Mediterranean Cuisine);
Chicken with Saffron and Spice sauce  (Mediterranean Cuisine )
Veal Rolls with Herbs   (Mediterranean Cuisine)
Stuffed Aubergines  (Mediterranean Cuisine)
Aubergines in the moorish style   (Mediterranean Cuisine )
Turnips armed in self-defense (Renaissance Recipes)
Sauteed mushrooms with spices(Medieval Kitchen)
Lombard chicken pasties (Medieval Kitchen (?))
Roast onion salad (Medieval Kitchen)
Candied sweet potatoes in syrup (Elenor Fetterplace)
Tart for mid-lent (To the King's taste)
Mussels in Broth (To the King's Taste)
Garlic nuclear mushrooms - grilled mushrooms with pancetta & garlic
(Mediterranena Cuisine)
Honey & Saffron quiche (700 years of English cookery)
Jumbals  (To the Queen's taste)
Pine nut candy (Medieval Kitchent (?))
Rapaye (Take a 1000 eggs or more)
(plus another dish with small mussels - recipe name unknown to me)

(recipes for these can be supplied if requested)

Mari
(who managed to survive with only 3 burns and a blister - no cuts this time!
:-p)

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect
the opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, or
of Queensland Transport. If you have received this electronic
mail message in error, please immediately notify the sender
and delete the message from your computer.