SC - Russian Black Bread

Sun Sep 5 23:02:59 PDT 1999

Pagach (Russian) uses a yeast dough, which is rolled out and cut into large
rectangles which receive a filling, usually cabbage or cheese and potatoes,
then are folded over, edge crimped and baked.

Pierogi (Polish) or Pelmeni (Russian) are unleavened doughs rolled out and
cut into small rounds.  They are then usually filled with a meat, cheese,
potato or mixed filling, folded, edge crimped and boiled.

Piroshkis (Russian) use an unleavened sour cream dough.  They are prepared
like pelmeni, but may be twice the diameter.  They are baked.

I suspect that the fillings were originally all leftovers.

Bear