SC - Powder Douce

Susan P Laing Susan.P.Laing at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Mon Sep 6 00:40:42 PDT 1999

Kerri (Cedrin Etainnighean) wrote:
> ... since we knew it wasn't supposed to be eaten
>necessarily, we just made a flour/water dough. ...

In this recipe it might be more likely that the crust was eaten. It is not
far off from the period for which there are recipes for pie crust,
specifically "short paste," so it's likely that some contemporary pie crusts
were being shortened and eaten. And this is a kind of dainty food, with the
crust to be made only an inch deep. The crust that was a discardable baking
shell seems more appropriate for the large pies containing things like whole
birds that would not fit into an ordinary modern pie.

In general, I would guess that if the pie is dainty, cooked in a shallow
crust, can be eaten in small slices, contains no large chunks and no bits
such as bones to be picked out, etc., then it's likely that a short crust
would have been used.

Though this is just my opinion.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon