SC - St. Florians Royal visit feast (assistant cook's report)

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 15:47:46 PDT 1999

> > Pagach (Russian) uses a yeast dough, which is rolled out and cut into
> large
> > Pierogi (Polish) or Pelmeni (Russian) are unleavened doughs rolled out
> and
> > Piroshkis (Russian) use an unleavened sour cream dough.  They are
> prepared
>
> We've been talking about these dishes for several days now. Is there any
> indication that these date back to before 1600? Or do these just fall
> within the "traditional" label?
>
> --
> Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

To my knowledge, there are no period recipes for any of these dishes from
the cultures stated.  Consider them traditional ethnic cuisine.

You could substitute "tartlettes" from the Forme of Cury for pierogi or
pelmeni.  The filling is a little different from modern pierogi or pelmeni
fillings but is within reason.  While the tartlette recipe serves them in
broth, pierogis and pelmeni are sometimes fried and are often served with a
sour cream sauce or a mustard sauce.  Probably of period origin.

Pagach is a savory pie with an edible leavened crust, possibly period in
origin.

The dough for the piroshkis is probably not period.

Bear