SC - pierogis

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 20:09:55 PDT 1999

At 4:11 PM -0400 9/6/99, Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

>This or course brings up the old argument, Is it period like to use
>ingredients that were known to be used in a given period and place.  Say
>Russia or Poland for this example.  I.e. If it can be found that they made
>piroshkis like dishes.  Can we use things that they probably would have used
>in ways they would have?  Must have documentation for this.

I think you are asking the wrong questions. You *can* serve tomatoes,
potatoes, and corn on the cob. You don't *have to* have documentation for
anything. "Period" isn't a yes/no variable.

The issue is not what you can do or what is or is not period--it is how
good your reasons are for believing that what you are making was made at
that time and place. If you are making it from a recipe written down then
and there, your reason for believing that what you are doing is a close
approximation of what they did is considerably stronger than if you are
using ingredients that they had but you don't know if they used those
ingredients in that way. But if no recipes have survived for that time and
place, that may be the best you can do.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/