SC - Fraud (was Re: comfort foods)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 6 23:10:12 PDT 1999

At 11:09 PM -0400 9/6/99, Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:

> Cariadac replies
> I think you are asking the wrong questions. You *can* serve tomatoes,
> potatoes, and corn on the cob. You don't *have to* have documentation for
> anything. "Period" isn't a yes/no variable.
>  >>

>I must not have expressed myself well.  First I would never use ingredients
>that I know are not period to Europe such as corn, tomatoes or potatoes in a
>medieval dish.

I realize that. My point was that "what can I do" is the wrong question
since, in the SCA, you *can* do things much more OOP than you would want to
do. So the relevant question is about how period you choose to be, not
about what you can or cannot do.

>If than, from period sources, not necessarily recipes such as Dairies,
>account ledgers, etc., describe dishes/feasts or ingredients purchased those
>ingredients could be used.  Please note, I am not trying to justify not using
>or following recipes.  I am curious how to use other sources than recipes in
>medieval cooking.

If you don't have recipes, you use anything that gives you useful
information--paintings, descriptions of meals by travellers or in
literature, household accounts, ...   . But that sort of information is
unlikely to provide nearly as good information as a cookbook would.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/