SC - Populace goodies

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 17:03:30 PDT 1999

At 2:41 AM -0400 9/7/99, cclark at vicon.net wrote:
>Kerri (Cedrin Etainnighean, OL) wrote:
>> ... Also, what sources
>>make distinctions between edible and inedible dough coverings?

I'm not convinced they used inedible dough, although it's possible. There
seems to be a distinction between paste and short paste. I think a possible
interpretation of the evidence is that "paste" normally means flour and
water (and probably salt) kneaded to a dough, that it was edible (that is
how I do Icelandic chicken, and the casing is edible--even the top part
that hasn't soaked in the fat and juices) but relatively tough, like a hard
pizza dough rather than a pie crust. In practice it might not all get
eaten, and the remains might be sent out to the poor at the gate, of fed to
the pigs or something. So "paste" is dough optimized as a container, "short
paste" is optimized as food (and contains fat), but each also serves the
other purpose.

Does anyone have clear evidence that that interpretation is wrong? I'm
basing it on my experience with making "paste" in that sense, plus the
general idea that people would be reluctant to routinely waste flour on
something nobody could eat when they could always use crockery containers
instead.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/