SC - favorite sweet

rhiannon@madcelt.com rhiannon at madcelt.com
Wed Sep 8 04:12:01 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 20:14
Subject: Re: SC - History of American Chocolate, OT

>--- Chris and Trish Makowski <roecourt at mindspring.com>
>wrote:

>But the question is how accurate is the book?  I have
>been on several tours of Hershey's plants and each
>time
>they have said that they bought the Reese's company
>with the proviso that they do not change the recipe
>for
>Reese's PB cups.  Which makes the book, to my mind,
>inaccurate.
>
>Huette

The author had access to all the company's files,  and also spoke with
several key people from the time. She also had access to diaries, journals,
and the letters of negotiation between Reese's and Hershey. Do you think
that on a Public Tour they are going to admit that Europeans hate the stuff
because it tastes (to them) like curdled milk? I doubt it, as I wouldn't if
I wrote the scripts. Also, not changing the recipe wouldn't involve having
to import machines identical to those already in the plant from Britain to
make the candies. I recommend that folks interested get the book from ILL or
the library and read it. That way you can see the sources she used for
yourself. It is a matter of public record though that no one will ever be
allowed access to the Mars records again, despite her showing the company in
a positive light in her original article (I forget the publication, but it
is listed in the book, and prob easily found in an online archive).
Regardless of personal opinions on the companies, it shows the highly
secretive word of chocolate manufacturing in a way that keeps interest high
(at least mine). Nafanial (Chris) the non-fiction loather, read it and found
it fascinating.

Anya