SC -Lenten/Vegan ideas

Chris and Trish Makowski roecourt at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 8 12:57:56 PDT 1999

Ras wrote:
>One of the simplest and tastiest sweets is Judges Mouthfuls from
al-Baghdadi
>(1226 CE). It is simply a raised dough from which pieces are pinched and
>dropped in hot fat to cook. They are drained and dipped in honey. Think
>glazed doughnut holes from raised doughnuts.
>
>Since there are literally dozens of sites throughout Wales alone where
>Islamic coin has been found in digs, it is not too much to  believe that
>these delectable morsels of a civilized nation might have been used  by the
>barbarians of the North.

Arabic coins minted around the year 1000 have even been found in Iceland -
you mean I could serve Lokma (Turkish yeast puffs cooked in hot oil and
dipped in honey, preferably orange flower honey) at a Viking feast? (Only
they would have used suet for cooking - might just change the flavor a wee
bit.)

Nanna